Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Professional Designation (CPD)
Why should I earn the CPTED Professional Designation (CPD)?
Earning the CPTED Professional Designation allows you to develop advanced skill sets in the area of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design and professional recognition from your peers and other professionals. The CPD demonstrates your knowledge and competence and brings notable credentials to your resume.
The National Institute of Crime Prevention’s Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Professional Designation (CPD) is available to those who successfully complete sixty-four hours of CPTED courses offered through the NICP. The designation is designed for a variety of professionals and provides the skills necessary to deliver comprehensive CPTED programs and assessments to local governments and private sector groups.
Earning the NICP’s CPTED Professional Designation (CPD)
To earn the NICP’s CPTED Professional Designation, a participant must successfully complete sixty-four hours of instruction offered through the NICP within two consecutive years. Course curriculum includes forty-hours of training in Basic CPTED and twenty-four hours of training in Advanced CPTED training:
- Basic Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design is a forty – hour course which teaches a student the proper design and effective use of the built and social environment to achieve a more productive use of space and a reduction of crime. Along with plan review, report writing, presentation skills, lighting, planning & zoning, and behavioral management. This course will include a CPTED field assessment.
- Advanced Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design is a twenty-four hour course which will focus on specialized topics such as parks, public art, schools, terror mitigation, site plan reviews, and color & human behavior – all utilizing CPTED concepts and strategies.
Students must pass a written examination at the end of each course. Students must also conduct and present a graded CPTED field assessment in the Basic course that is included in the final grade. Upon completion of the above requirements, the designation of CPTED Professional is awarded to the student by the NICP. The initial NICP CPTED Professional Designation is valid for a period of four years.
The NICP will maintain a national database for those participants that earn the CPD. Those participants that are interested can be included in a searchable database for organizations, agencies, or companies searching for CPTED professionals.
To maintain the designation, a NICP CPTED Professional must successfully complete the sixteen hour CPTED Update course offered by NICP, which will include specialized topics. Upon completion of a CPTED Update course, the designation will be renewed for a period of four years from the date of the Update course.
The Specialized Topics Course currently available:
- CPTED and Placemaking
- CPTED and Parks
- CPTED and Houses of Worship
- CPTED and Physical Security (Conducting a CPTED Security Survey)
- CPTED and Schools
- CPTED and Healthcare Facilities
- CPTED and Cannabis Facilities
To view our upcoming CPTED training conferences including those course that are CPD qualifying, please visit the Conferences page. For any additional questions about the CPD please contact us at email@example.com or 864-608-4894.